CO2015 Software Engineering Project

CO2015 Software Engineering Project

Credits: 20 Convenor: Dr. P. Kosiuczenko Semester: 2

Prerequisites: essential: CO1003, CO1004, CO2006 desirable: CO1006
Assessment: Individual written report: 15% Group project: 85%
Lectures: 18 Problem Classes: none
Tutorials: none Private Study: 126
Labs: none Seminars: none
Project: none Other: none
Surgeries: 6 Total: 150

Subject Knowledge


Students will gain an understanding of the difficulties and benefits of working together in a group on a large software engineering project. They will learn how to analyse the requirements of a customer and design and construct a large software system to solve the customer's problem.

Learning Outcomes

Students should be able to: write as part of a group a set of functional requirements for the system; construct as part of a group a high-level object-oriented design for the system; construct as part of a group a detailed design for the system; implement the system with other members of the group; document and demonstrate the system with other members of the group; carry out on an individual basis a quality assurance exercise on the system.


Class sessions together with course notes, recommended textbook, worksheets, group discussions, some additional hand-outs and web support.


15% of the mark is allocated on an individual basis for a quality assurance review. The remaining 85% is awarded on a group basis for the following: documents produced at regular intervals recording their progress: the presentation and demonstration of the system; weekly student diary indicating time allocated to the tasks carried out.

Subject Skills


To teach students oral communication, writing communication, team working, information technology, problem solving, and information handling skills.

Learning Outcomes

Students will be able to: work as part of a team; analyse customer requirements; design and construct a large software system; program on a large scale; demonstrate a large software system; produce written reports on a project.


Lectures, group discussions, presentation, marked group and individual worksheets, directed reading, and computer practicals.


Marked coursework, presentation, project report, and demonstration of the software system.

Explanation of Pre-requisites

In order to implement their system the project groups must be familiar with the basic techniques of programming as taught in CO1003 and CO1004. They will specify and design their techniques using the object-oriented approach taught in CO2006, and they will put into practice the basic software engineering which they have learned in CO1006.

Course Description

This course provides an opportunity for students to put the techniques and skills of software engineering that have been studied so far into practical use. Students work in groups of about six to design and implement a software system in reponse to a set of customer requirements.


The need for software engineering; the project life-cycle; management issues; defining project goals; system specification; system design; management of quality in specification and design; measurement of system attributes.

Reading list


M. Fowler, UML Distilled, 3rd edition, Addison-Wesley.

J. Rumbaugh et al, The Unified Software Development Process, Addison-Wesley, 1999.

R. Pressman, Software Engineering -- A Practitioner's Approach, European Adaptation 5th edition, McGraw Hill, 2000.

R. Pooley and P. Stevens, Using UML, Software Engineering with Objects and Components, Addison-Wesley, 1999.

Grady Booch, Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications, 2nd edition, Benjamin-Cummings.


T. Gilb, Principles of Software Engineering Management, Addison-Wesley, 1988.

I. Sommerville, Software Engineering, 6th edition, Addison-Wesley, 2001.


Course notes, web page, study guide, computer lab, worksheets, handouts, lecture rooms with two OHPs and computer.

Module Evaluation

Course questionnaires, course review.

[University Home] [Faculty of Science] [MCS Home] [CS Home] CS Home Page [University Index A-Z] [University Search] [University Help]

Author: N. Rahman, tel: +44 (0)116 252 2593
Last updated: 2004-09-29
MCS Web Maintainer
This document has been approved by the Head of Department.
© University of Leicester.