University of Leicester

computer science

General Chat Forum (For General Chatting about anything)

[Topic Listing]

» Can we have an Alumni Email??? by Peter R Town (102)
     Posted 02-01-2007 09:33:01

A lot of other universities have an Alumni email address...
Would it be possible for us to have one setup?
It might encourage the growth of this network and increase the chance of keeping in touch with graduates with an Alumni email directory.

Re: Can we have an Alumni Email??? by Peter R Town (102)
   Posted 14-02-2007 09:40:20

Well I graduated last year and it wont accept my old account name now, I assume it's too late for me
It's a shame us guys where not made aware of the service when we graduated.

Re: Re: Can we have an Alumni Email??? by Thomas Erlebach (35) Site Admin
   Posted 22-02-2007 11:26:54

Hi,

I just talked to the Alumni relations office about this. They say that currently it is impossible for them to register former graduates for the e-mail for life service if these graduates do not have an active CFS account. However, there are ongoing discussions about opening the service to all former graduates (even those who have graduated before 2005), and if this gets implemented you will be able to get an alumni e-mail address. Not sure how long it will take until this is available though.

BTW, they say that all graduates since 2005 should have received e-mail about the availability of the e-mail for life service while they were still at the university.

Cheers, Thomas

Re: Re: Re: Can we have an Alumni Email??? by Peter R Town (102)
   Posted 22-02-2007 16:10:23

Thanks very much for the feedback!
Well I know that none of my friends that I have spoken to had any knowledge of this area, but maybe we all overlooked it.
Thanks again for your support Thomas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can we have an Alumni Email??? by Peter R Town (102)
   Posted 22-02-2007 16:12:07

I get how the posts are structured now and i'll try to post in the right places! :S

Re: Re: Can we have an Alumni Email??? by Peter R Town (102)
   Posted 14-02-2007 09:41:17

Haha! That's quite an angry sad face...

Re: Can we have an Alumni Email??? by Thomas Erlebach (35) Site Admin
   Posted 06-02-2007 13:12:46

The university has introduced alumni email by now. Check out http://alumni.le.ac.uk/ for details. The email addresses are of the form xy123@alumni.leicester.ac.uk. The service is freely available for all students graduating from July 2005, but I am not sure whether graduates from previous years can also apply.

Cheers, Thomas

Attached Link:
  • Alumni e-mail for life

• Theres is an admin option by James Caddy (3)
       Posted 09-01-2007 19:39:57

Allows emailing of various graduation years, you'd need to get admin access to use it though.

Were you thinking of just an email that'd forward onto all registered users or something?

Re: Theres is an admin option by Peter R Town (102)
       Posted 17-01-2007 13:27:15

Well i might be a bit late for us lot but a guess they could snail mail them out...
    An email like
    prt2@alumni.le.ac.uk so something along those lines was the idea. For new graduates they could forward all mail into this address from the privious account they close down. e.g. prt2@le.ac.uk. A few uni's then have directories of all graduates with profiles. A good way to keep up to date with your old class mates, Networking etc.

Oh that would be good by James Caddy (3)
       Posted 20-01-2007 10:46:48

Kinda expensive I'd guess to have thousands more people with email boxes taking up space but be good to try and contact some people I've lost contact with.

| [University Home]|[Faculty of Science]|[MCS Home]|[CS Home]||[University Index A-Z]|[University Search]|[University Help]|

University of Leicester 23rd May 2005. Last modified: 6th June 2005, 14:49:26
    CS Web Maintainer. This document has been approved by the Head of Department.